Lazada, Zalora, Cdisount and More Debate E-Commerce in Thailand at Ad:Tech
On May 8th, the largest retailers, brands and industry leaders in Southeast Asia gathered at Ad:tech Bangkok to discuss the latest trends in tech and how digital was going to disrupt the marketing and advertising industry. Esteemed speakers included but was not limited to: DTAC, Rakuten, Lazada, Google, WhatsNew, etc.
Five of the biggest e-commerce players were a part of a riveting discussion about reaching e-commerce distinction in Thailand (which was fortunately captured). How do you get ahead of the game? Join the chat.
Ad:Tech Bangkok Panel Members:
Shannon Kalayanamitr, Group CMO, WhatsNew (Moderator)
Riccardo Basile, CEO, Lazada Thailand
Jose Ojeda, CEO, Zalora Thailand
Pawoot Pongvitayapanu, MD & Found, Rakuten
Jérémy Fichet, Founder & Managing Partner, Cdiscount Thailand
Key Takeaways from the Discussion
Is Thailand’s economy ready for the e-commerce market?
“I tell all my friends, you need to jump on this opportunity and not come down. Tesla cars, white gold, more and more people in this country buy online…The demand is there. If the market is not at 3,4,5%, this means that Jose, myself, Tarad guys, Cdiscount suck and need to improve for better quality.” – Riccardo
“I think the question is nonsense. We bring convenience and something the customers are already looking for, we’re very confident that partnering with agencies and others will bring us success.” – Fichet
“E-commerce is growing very fast and companies end up burning through their money. Going online is simple but creating sales is something deeper, more data driven…” – Pongvitayapanu
What can brands and agencies do to penetrate the market?
“We at Southeast Asia don’t suck, I think we’re actually pretty good. The reason we’re behind China is because we need to build an entire ecosystem from bottom up. This ecosystem starts with brands.” – Riccardo
“We believe in the omni buzzchannel consumer, if your brand needs a celebrity, we will connect you because it’s how the market works.” – Kalayanamitr
“For brands, forget making a website, go multichannel strategy and use the marketplaces that make up for all existing traffic in Thailand.” – Riccardo
“If you are a marketer, go to China and meet with all the people making so much money working for Tmall and Alibaba.” – Riccardo
The internet penetration in Thailand is 45% now, what do we do about the other 55%? (O2O)
“Having a partnership with Big C allows us to leverage a lot of assets, customers can pick up the products they ordered on Cdiscount at any Big C store which brings convenience and . We are less and less with the media that we use to communicate with our customers.” – Fichet
“Fashion is more emotional, being a brand that you aspire to buy is very important to us. Offline, we are present in fashion shows (Elle Fashion Week, Fashion Night Out, etc.) and we’ve set up a large showroom so people can see the clothes, try it on and order online to have it delivered on the same day.” – Ojeda
What do you think are your biggest challenges?
“I think in this part of the world, it is very tough to find top talent. Especially those who don’t want to work in e-commerce because they don’t know about it or think it’s not exciting.” – Ojeda